Soroptimist International is a worldwide organisation for women in management and the professions, working through service projects to advance human rights and the status of women. The word Soroptimist comes from the Latin words soror meaning “sister” and optima meaning “best”, and loosely translates as “best for women”.
|Ms. Mamta Patil||Treasurer|
Soroptimist International is a vibrant, dynamic organization for today’s professional and business women. We are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships.
The SI Programme Focus is a set of goals and objectives which relates directly to the Programme Areas. This provides the structure, or “focus” of all our project work. It is updated once every four years at the International Convention and was most recently updated in Glasgow in 2007.
Soroptimists will ensure that women and girls:
- Enjoy equity and equality
- Live in safe and healthy environments
- Have access to education
- Have leadership and practical skills
- Eliminate poverty and gender discrimination through ensuring women’s full social and economic rights (ESD)
- End human trafficking and all forms of violence against women and girls (HSW)
- Ensure access to health care for women and girls (Health)
- Support programmes and policies that would eliminate HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB and other major diseases (Health)
- Improve access to clean water, sanitation and essential food resources (ENV)
- Mitigate the effects of climate change and integrate sustainability into personal choices and governmental policies and programmes (ENV)
- Meet the needs of women and girls during and after armed conflicts, man-made and natural disasters (IGU)
- Promote peaceful processes for conflict resolution through encouragement of intercultural and inter-racial tolerance and condemnation of all forms of genocide and terrorism (IGU)
- Ensure equal access to education and training throughout their lifespan (ED)
- Enable women’s advancement in management, politics and decision making (ESD)